The Buildings of the open-air museum Moschendorf

The historical buildings are block houses, plastered with clay on the outside. They were reconstructed with the original material here. The thatched roofs need, however, a regular renewal, a historic skill which is now only rarely to be found.

In addition to the historical part of the museum, several new buildings were erected - the archive, the chapel, the wine shops and the hall of the meeting center.

Historic houses and cellars

The rooms intended to preserve the wine are called cellars in the South Burgenland, although they are not subterranean but are above the ground level. The low temperature necessary for the storage of the wine was achieved by the construction method and the building materials (massive blockwood with external plaster).

picture


  Kreuzstadel from the year 1663

The Kreuzstadel (a cross shaped barn) was transferred from the nearby village of Gaas. The middle section is composed of massive, well-preserved oak trunks up to 30 inches in diameter. Inside, historical equipment of dairy, household appliances and agricultural equipment are exhibited. In the left wing of the building there is a fully equipped forge and a cooperage. In the right wing you can see various historical vehicles such as hay wagons, sleds and a carriage. Also yokes and horse-collars for cattle and horses can be found here.

picture


  Wine cellar from the year 1782

The living room and bedroom with completely original furniture.
 
 
 
 
 
 

picture


  Wine cellar with press house
  from the year 1834

Here you find a wine press from the year 1745 and 2 smaller presses of later date. Various equipment and tools for winegrowing are also exhibited.
 
 
 
 
 
 

picture


  Cellar from the year 1847

Today, the building houses boilers and apparatus for distilling. One of the copper boilers dates from 1880.
 
 
 

picture


  Wine cellar from the year 1851

In this building are the items needed for the wine production such as vats, wine barrels, funnels, a fermentation vat, a vinegar rack and an apple stack.
 
 
 
 

picture


  residential building
  From the 19th century

A plastered block house with four rooms. The living room, the kitchen and an adjoining room contain original furniture. The rear room contains a fully equipped shoemaker's workshop.
 
 

picture


  Barn from the year 1893

The barn was transferred from Urbersdorf. Because of its considerable size it is suitable for a variety of events.

picture


  Inside you find a huge wine barrel from the Erdödy Manor, a huge wine press from the year 1701 and furniture from the early 19th century.
 
 
 
 
 

picture
  "Kellerstöckl" from the year 1946

A "Kellerstöckl" is a combination of a wine cellar with additional rooms for storage and work. Nowadays many of those in the area were renovated and are in use as a holiday accomodation by city dwellers. During the last weeks of World War II quite a number was devastated and burned down in the fighting between the retreating German troops and the Soviet Army. After the war the people rebuilt their cellars again. In the upper floor of the building you can visit the rooms with an ensemble of historic furniture.
 
 
 
 

The Vinothekes picture


 
 
 
 
  Wine Cellar from the year 1905
  Uhudlervinothek


 
 
 
 
picture


 
 
 
 
 
  Vinothek Südburgenland
  (erected in 1990)


 
 
 
 
 
 
picture


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  VINEST Vinothek
  (erected in 2001)


 
 
 
 
 
 

Other objects

picture


  Oak trunk

During the canalizing works on the river Pinka in the 1970s the still well-preserved trunks of five huge oak trees were found, which had sunk in the marsh area about 1000 years ago and were conserved in it. One of them is located to the right of the entrance.
 
 

picture


  "Fox Hole" from the year 1944

This military shelter on the area of the wine museum was part of the "Südostwall", which was one of the last defense lines against the approaching Red Army to the end of World War II. It is located in the rear part of the terrain on a side-road.
 

picture


  Hubertus Chapel
(erected in 1984)

It was built on the heights of the forest by the Huntsman's Club and the Kulturverein (Cultural Association) of Moschendorf. In the immediate vicinity of the chapel you can find 13 different species of trees which are marked with information tablets.
 

picture


  Archive
(erected in 1987)

This building serves as a documentation center for the Wine Museum. A collection of photographs of the local history and the inventory of a former pharmacy are kept there.
 
 

picture


  Mountain Cross
(errichtet 1994)

The cross with a 190 cm high corpus was set up by the Kulturverein as a thanksgiving to the success of the Weinbaumuseum.